Wednesday, March 9, 2016

A Flower is not a Flower

I saw some talk this morning on twitter about Indigenous Physics and decided I should write something that could give some very basic insight into how it could possibly be different from more Eurocentric schools of thought.

These are simply ways of being that I have inherited from my ancestors and themselves are not applicable to all other NDN cultures but some may share these concepts. That in itself is a part of it but we'll get into that later.

For now let us focus on a single concept that I have inherited. Think for a moment about a flower, it rests on a hill, surrounded by lush green grass and beyond it the sky stretches out far beyond where you can comprehend. A flower is a seed bearing plant consisting of corolla and calyx. This flower, is not a flower, it is a thought, it exists but not in the physical plane which you can touch and interact with it. This flower is not a flower, but yet in some world, outside of our own it is real.

Now, I would like you to go and look at a real flower, one you can touch and smell. That flower is not a flower either, or rather not "simply" a flower. That flower was grown from a seed, a seed that came from another flower. It exists in this, our physical plane and can be interacted with and for it to exist in the time and place that you've interacted with it, then it must have interacted with other forces prior to it's time with you. This flower ate, drank, was born, as it's parent was before it. This flower is unlike any flower to ever exist because of the history that has at this moment placed it in front of you.

The flower is not "a" flower, but rather "this" flower, an identity that is both generic and unique.

As I said before I only wanted to get briefly into a very bare explanation of one of the concepts that I have learned, but it's application is far more reaching. I perceive objects at a more molecular level, I see space differently from most people, and most importantly time and reality are not static concepts withing my mind.

Indigenous Physics are, at their core, a way of being in their totality. Teaching them and allowing others to find their reality and truth is certainly a goal worth pursuing.

No comments:

Post a Comment